Friday, September 11, 2009

A Date No One Wishes to Remember

This day can't be ignored. I heard on NPR this afternoon that NYPD now has a Muslim chaplain and they are doing a lot of outreach. It was really very positive and hopeful. There was an Arabic police officer who was interviewed. He said he had great support from his fellow officers, asking if he was all right or suffering harrassment. He did mention that someone screamed at his wife to "go back where she came from", but that she was born in Brooklyn. That was also closer to the event, and feelings were probably still high, but understanding one another is a place to begin to heal.

I'm trying to imagine myself as someone who lost a loved one that day, and knowing I can't speak from that kind of pain - I would never try to pretend I know what it is to be in those shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment